Chapter 1: A nerd's monologue

     Loki, the light-bringer. Ever heard of him? The God of lies, trickery, deception. You know, all the good stuff. I've taken a particular interest in him, mainly because of a book I just read. The gospel of Loki written by Joanne M. Harris, basically Loki's life story written from his point of view. It's a good read, but that's not the point I'm trying to make in this discussion. It's the title of Light-bringer that is the center of this discussion. I only know one other entity that shares that title, Lucifer/Satan. Now, Loki is from Norse Mythology, Lucifer/Satan is from the religion Christianity. As far as my limited knowledge can tell me, the differences between them mostly ends there. Both are chaotic, deceitful and the enemy of the Gods. Both also curiously hold the title of Light-bringer. Why? Why are they called the Light-bringer? Light is supposed to be good, helpful, beneficial. Why then is such a title bestowed upon those that ironically are portrayed as evil?

     Maybe, just maybe, the title Light-bringer really is fitting for these so called evil characters. Maybe evil is the bringer of light/hope, for how can there be hope if there are no evil? By what measure can we define good if there are no evil that we can compare it to? Therefore, good must be inseparable from evil. Maybe good and evil are not opposing forces trying to dominate each other but act like antagonistic muscles, sort of like our bicep and triceps in our arms. Maybe the world is like a giant arm, good and evil are its muscles. In order to move a certain way, one muscle must contract while the other relaxes.

   So how much time have I wasted this time? I took out my phone and checked the time, 11:47. Not that bad, I guess. I wasted a good 15 minutes on my little thought experiment. I brought my focus back on all the other people just hanging about in the cafeteria. Everybody else is just talking to each other in groups, all of us still have a good one hour to burn before we can finally go home and start our holidays. I wonder what everybody else is talking about? I doubt it has anything to do with the nature of good and evil and how they affect the universe. More likely, they'd be talking about the latest fashion trends, the latest music, the latest games and maybe even gossip about how much of a loner I am. I understand it's not their fault, it's hard to be friends with people that aren't like you. You know the saying, birds of a feather flock together.  

     "Hey, Sebastian. You look tired", Chartreux said as he walks toward me.

     "Yeah, I am tired", I replied. Tired of thinking so hard, I never asked to be such a philosopher.

    "Are you sick? You don't look so well"

     I gave him a weak smile and slouched a bit to emphasize my fake sickness, I find it a lot easier to just give people the wrong idea than to explain  my crazy thoughts.

   And with that, another uneventful day was passed and forgotten.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coda

The Dominican order- Chapter 1. Revenge

Coda chapter 2